Industrialists slam govt following a raid on textile units

KARACHI: Industrialists have showed their displeasure at the Sindh authorities a day after they raided two textile units in Karachi, sealing them and arresting their owners on violation of lockdown orders.

The police raided two facilities owned by Yunus Textile Mills Limited and Alkaram Textile Mills Pvt Ltd in Karachi on Tuesday. The staff was also arrested after dtehy were found defying coronavirus directives.

The industrialists say they need government support instead of harassment and arrest of businessmen.

“Exporters are losing orders, nearly 70 per cent export orders have been cancelled due to global environment and for completing remaining 30 per cent we need to function smoothly,” Anjum Nisar, president of the Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FPCCI) said.

Nisar said that under the current situation when the industrialists are directed hold operations, not lay off staff, they are facing cash flow constraints and the behavior of authorities and agencies was only mounting their problems. He said that the government should follow policies that are favourable to the industry at a time of global crises where most of the countries are losing trade and facing a drastic decline in exports.

Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KCCI) President Agha Shahab Ahmed Khan, while expressing concerns over the detention of owners, said the government should finalise the standard operating procedures at the earliest so that the industries could accordingly adopt precautionary measures.