New Zealand Mosque shooting accused to be sentenced next month
New Zealand mosque shooting accused who murdered 51 worshipers last year will be sentenced next month, foreign media revealed Friday.
According to the details, Far-right extremist Brenton Tarrant was convicted in March of 51 murder charges, 40 of attempted murder and one of terrorism, after dropping his previous not guilty plea.
New Zealand was in COVID-19 lockdown, at the time, meaning surviving victims and families of the slain could not attend court to see him sentenced.
The High Court judge Cameron Mander said cleared the way for Tarrant to be sentenced on August 24. “Now, in the absence of community transmission of the COVID-19 virus in New Zealand, our courts have returned to normal operations,” Mander said in a judicial minute released Friday.
“The public and, importantly, victims and their families living in New Zealand can attend court sittings.”
He said three days had been set aside for the sentencing but added: “The hearing will take as long as is necessary”.