Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in its 47th Council of Foreign Minister (CFM), unanimously adopted Pakistan sponsored resolution on Jammu and Kashmir.
As per details, OIC categorically rejected illegal and unilateral actions taken by India since 5 August 2019. The Resolution demands that India “cancel the issuance of domicile certificates to non-Kashmiris” as well as other unilateral and illegal actions, including “Jammu & Kashmir Reorganization Order 2020”, “Jammu & Kashmir Grant of Domicile Certificate Rules 2020”, “Jammu and Kashmir Language Bill 2020” and amendments to the landownership laws.
The resolution also rejected policies being pursued by the RSS-BJP regime, the 57 member countries of the OIC have asked India to refrain from taking any steps to alter the existing demographic structure of the disputed territory.
The primary provisions of the resolution are as follows;
- Rejection illegal and unilateral actions by India on August 5, 2019, to change the internationally recognized disputed status of the Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IIOJK), and demanded that India rescind its illegal steps.
- India must cancel the issuance of domicile certificates to non-Kashmiris and revoke all unilateral and illegal actions in IIOJK since 5 August 2019, while refraining from taking any step to alter the existing demographic structure of the disputed territory.
- Condemnation of human rights violations perpetrated by Indian occupation forces in IIOJK and other such instances of Indian terrorism that have been the source of unspeakable suffering for the innocent Kashmiri people.
- Denouncement of state-sponsored terrorism and crimes against humanity by Indian occupation forces against people of IIOJK.
- Condemnation of extra-judicial killings during fake ‘encounters’ and ‘search-and-cordon’ operations and demolition of homes and private properties as a form of collective punishment.
- India’s exploitation of COVID-19 crisis to intensify its military crackdown and further advance its unlawful occupation in IIOJK.
- Reaffirmation of the sentiments expressed in the unanimously adopted Communiqués of the OIC Contact Group on Jammu &Kashmir in its Ministerial meetings held on 25 September 2019 and 22 June 2020.
- Demand India to adhere to its international human rights obligations and allow the OIC Special Representative on Jammu and Kashmir and the OIC Fact-finding Mission to visit IIOJK.
- India must implement recommendations of the two Reports of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights on Jammu & Kashmir.
- International community must review their engagements with India, the occupying power, as it is violating and disregarding the international law, the international humanitarian law, and international resolutions.
- Recognition of Jammu and Kashmir as the core dispute between Pakistan and India, and its resolution indispensable for realization of the dream of peace in South Asia.
- Acknowledgment of the fact that the people of Jammu and Kashmir are the principal party to the dispute, and should be included in any peace process for resolution of the Jammu & Kashmir dispute.
The 57-member OIC has been a consistent and vocal supporter of the Kashmir cause, and adoption of this Resolution was a reaffirmation of the principled stance always taken by the OIC on the Jammu & Kashmir dispute.
It is pertinent to know that Pakistan had approached OIC Contact Group on Jammu and Kashmir to hold emergency virtual meeting of Foreign Ministers of other member nations including Azerbaijan, Niger, Saudi Arabia and Turkey along with OIC-Independent Permanent HR Commission (IPHRC) to discuss worsening situation in Indian Occupied Kashmir (IOK).